It's all about convenience around these parts. We try to coordinate the girls' evening nap with our dinner time, but I think they have a radar that senses when I'm just about to enjoy a meal - they end up waking up as soon as the fork digs up my first bite! It's OK though, they're just so cute I don't mind.
This is one of our easiest and most favorite go-to meals with affordable ingredients. The base of the recipe comes from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine, and we put our own spin on it. It adapts really well to whatever you have on hand - we've prepared it all sorts of ways and it is always delicious. We added polenta to the recipe to give it a little more oomph.
Adapted from Everyday Food
- Coconut rice, made with full-fat coconut milk as liquid
- Polenta, either stovetop or pre-prepared
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cooked or 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 oz. vegetable or chicken stock (preferably fresh! Stock recipe here)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- Garnishes: lime wedges, fresh cilantro, sliced radishes, avocado, etc.
- Prepare coconut rice and polenta, keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium, add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, vinegar, and oregano. Cook, mashing some beans with the back of a spoon, until slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Fluff rice with a fork.
- Serve beans over desired amount of rice and polenta, and top with your favorite garnishes and salt and pepper.