Gretchen at That Mama Gretchen created a list of 12 things she wanted to do in 2012. I didn't really have any New Year's resolutions, so I thought this would be fun to do.
Here's my 12 things:
Here's my 12 things:
1. Shoot: Take a good family picture once a month. We are notoriously bad at this. We only have one or two good family pictures. We need more!
2. Write and Submit. There are so many half-written pieces sitting in a folder on my desktop that I've been meaning to do something with, especially my travel writings from our trip to Europe. I originally intended to submit them for publication, but babies happened. I will pursue that this year.
3. Get Out: Go on family outings or hikes once (or more) a month. We love the outdoors, and used to be really good about getting out and enjoying it. I don't want to see us lose that - it would be easy to do - and we want the girls to grow up loving it as much as we do.
4. Thrift. It's crazy how many of the favorite and most-used things I have are thrift, yard sale, or Craigslist finds. Our coffee grinder, my Le Creuset dutch oven, our BumGenius cloth diapers, and almost all of our furniture. I'd like to continue this practice. It's really fun, and, we save a lot of money.
5. Parlez francais. It's amazing how fast you lose language. One year ago, I was speaking more French during the day than English. Now, I have a hard time recalling basic grammar structures and everyday words. If I want to prime the girls' minds and ears for a second language, I need to keep up!
6. Trim: Streamline our grocery shopping. I saw this on Pinterest, and I am going to implement it next month. As a family that doubled in size and is reliant on one income (and not a very high one at that), I need to be more diligent. If Andy gets a good teaching job later this year, we will look into purchasing a side of grassfed beef and investing in a CSA share.
7. Create. This could be sewn, knitted, crocheted, hot glue-gunned, anything! I love pinning...and now I want to start creating. (Follow me on Pinterest here!)
8. Record: Write in Ruthie & Afton's Baby Books. I received the most precious baby books at my shower. I would hate to forget to fill the pages.
9. Reach Out: Get involved in an outreach or ministry. This may be challenging, because if Andy gets a teaching job in another city, we'll be moving and starting from scratch at a new church. I miss it, though, and want to keep my heart open if something comes along.
10. Connect: Set aside date-time. I purposely did not say date night, because sometimes it is easier for us to get out during the day. We also love love going to breakfast. And it is so easy to let this one slide, because we are both tired and just want to relax. But I know it's so important!
11. Compile: Organize my 5,000+ pictures from Europe. These are daunting. I want to create hardback photo books with these that we can have printed as our budget allows.
12. Ski. This one is mostly a wish-list item. I had a season pass as a teenager and in my early 20's and would be on the mountain every weekend. That's not very practical or feasible now, but I would like to go more than once during the winter! Next winter, the girls will be a year and a half, and I'll be happy shooting for 5 - 10 times.
What are your 12 in 2012? I'd love to read yours. Leave a comment below, and link up at That Mama Gretchen!