The strangest part of this pregnancy is that I really don't have much of an appetite. For me, that is kind of a big deal. Because of my lack of appetite, it's been a challenge to make sure I'm eating (and drinking) enough throughout the day.
When you don't have much of an appetite, it can be hard to think up snacks that will be both nourishing and satisfying. The best way is to keep it real and keep it simple. Here are five creative real food snack recipes that go beyond veggie sticks and hummus (which is still a great snack, of course):
1. Apple slices with Crispy Oven Roasted Chickpeas from Fifteen Spatulas. I was skeptical about these at first, but they're crunchy and delicious. If you crave salty food like potato chips, these are up your alley and they're full of protein!
2. Apple-Cinnamon Scones from Thank Your Body. Gluten Free! I skipped the glaze and sprinkled coconut sugar on top. Eat while sipping a cup of pregnancy tea. Great for a quick breakfast, too.
3. Coconut Walnut Snack "Balls" from Butter Believer. Did you know that researchers did a study on date consumption in the last four weeks of pregnancy, and it actually shortened the first stage of labor and produced a more favorable outcome? Buuuuut, I don't love dates, so I've been trying to find different ways to eat them.
4. Mint Cacao Frosty Smoothie from Tales of a Kitchen. A great way to get in those dates, yay!
5. Yogurt (full fat, dairy or non) and homemade banana bread granola from Minimalist Baker...it's like granola crack. One bowl and you'll go back for seconds...and thirds. Better make a double batch.
What is your favorite pregnancy snack?